Monday, October 6, 2008

Blue Letter Bible

Blb-mast2 




So that we don't get off track with the podcast, I thought I'd hold off "In Search Of Truth" this week. However, I've been wanting to tell you all about this website for a long time now.


"Blue Letter Bible" http://www.blueletterbible.org/


Although "E-Sword" is a great downloadable resource, and thus good for customizing and using without an internet connection, if you want a great resource for understanding the Bible that doesn't require any room on your hard drive, check out Blue Letter Bible.


The first tool you'll notice upon reaching the site is a search engine that allows you to look for any word in the entire Bible, in 14 different translations. Typically, I use it to help me quickly locate a verse that I can remeber part of, but maybe not the whole thing. Or if I want to look for Bible verses connected to a specific word.


For example, let's say I want to see what the Bible has to say about love. I just put "love" in the search field, choose my translation on a scroll bar and hit enter. There are quite a few verses!


After clicking on a specific verse with the word "love", I'm taken to the chapter containing that verse. The entire chapter is broken down, verse by verse, with some new icons appearing to the left.


Highlighting these icons will display their purpose. You'll find historical maps with a connection to your verse, dictionary aids, a list of commentaries by Biblical scholars and a Hebrew/Greek concordance to help you get a better sense of what the word meant to the original readers of these books of the Bible.


For those who are already geeks for this sort of thing, you may prefer "Strongs" concordance, as I do, but for anyone else interested in better understanding what they read in the Bible, this page is a feature-filled and FREE place to start!


Ever wonder what the name "Jesus" means? How about the word "Christ"? Jump over to Blue Letter Bible, fiddle around, explore a bit, and see what YOU can find!


-Paeter Frandsen



No comments:

Post a Comment