Monday, October 21, 2013

Fun With Computers!



Okay, so actually I'm having the opposite of "fun with computers". The laptop I do most of my day to day work on has had a noisy fan lately and finally gave me a startup error that prevented me from using the computer any further. I spent yesterday afternoon finding out what options will NOT help the problem, and also began looking into repair scenarios.

Today, after a little more troubleshooting, the fan seems to be working, and working quietly. No startup errors. All the same, I've been updating my backup of everything I need and will be working off my external hard drive for awhile until I see if anything blows up.

This is just one more reminder that I really have no business attempting to do what I'm doing. Internet ministries, businesses or endeavors of any kind ought to be run by folks who are much more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to computers. But I'm convinced that, for some reason, God is directing me to what I'm doing, despite it taking me out of my skill set on a such a regular basis.

Yes, I know. There are numerous examples of God doing the same thing with so many others in scripture. And it makes sense. What better way to show how powerful you are than to purposefully use inept people to serve you and thus stack the odds against your success? (I think Raan Galvaanik made that observation in Spirit Blade or Dark Ritual, or maybe it was the Novella.) But here, in the moment, it's still frustrating. Still a challenge to trust God and be content with the situation he has placed me in for the rest of the day or week.

I can't help but wonder, though, if it may do me some good to break from my normal routine and have a little extra breathing room to see what Yahweh might be saying or giving me opportunity to see right now.

In the meantime, I will at least be trying to get the content prepared so that I can put out the podcast this week, although it's possible that either this week or next there will be no episode posted if complications persist. (Some of the estimated repair times I've been getting for this issue are in the neighborhood of 2-3 weeks.) I'll keep you posted, though.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, crap, Paeter, that sounds just like the death throes of my own system! Yes, back it up ASAP and prepare to get taken to the cleaners on the repair. I sympathize completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sympathy! All backed up now. I've managed to "troubleshoot" things back to normal for now, but for at least the next 3-4 weeks I'm basically just using the laptop as an interface to work off my external hardrive. I almost hope that the problem resurfaces and can't be "troubleshot" away. Nothing more annoying than taking a car or computer in to get fixed and they can't do anything because the problem won't manifest for them.

    ReplyDelete