Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Christmas Wars?

ChristmasTree










Can someone explain the whole "Christmas Wars" thing to me? I'm referring to the cultural controversy that seems to simmer every year centered on a battle between the phrases "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays".
This year, Focus On The Family launched a campaign to help identify retailers that are more "Christmas Friendly", using the term "Christmas" in their business practices instead of "holidays", etc. You can check out the site for yourself at: http://standforchristmas.com/
The Focus site says of retails stores:
They want your patronage and your gift-shopping dollars, but do they openly recognize Christmas?
I could be mistaken, but it seems Focus On The Family wants to encourage shopping at places that (at least in some superficial way) acknowledge Christmas and to discourage shopping at stores that do not.
I'm not quite ready to wag my finger at this, because no one has explained to me the Biblical basis for this kind of behavior. But I do find it extremely puzzling. It also seems to promote a kind of "us versus them" mentality, concerning Christians and non-believers. In essence, Focus is saying to unbelievers in control of retail stores to "recognize our Christian religious holiday or we won't shop at your store." It's not quite like saying "be a Christian or else", but it leaves a similar taste in my mouth.
What I see in scripture seems to inspire a different action than what I see in the "Stand for Christmas" campaign.
In 1st Corinthians, Paul is commanding the Corinthian church to address sin within their own community of believers. In verse 9 he clarifies that when he said not to associate with immoral people, he was referring to people who called themselves Christians (or "brothers") but lived in an immoral way. Regarding the behavior of outsiders, Paul says that he has nothing to do with them (verse 12) and that God will judge those outside of the church, so we ought to worry instead about behavior within the community of believers.(verse 13) Paul does not expect non-believers to behave in a Christian way. Why should we?
The second issue here is that Christmas is not a holiday that scripture requires even Christians to observe, let alone non-Christians. If anything, we see a lack of importance given to "holy days" in the New Testament. (See Romans 14:5 and surrounding context) There's nothing bad about even a Christian not celebrating Christmas if they do it because they believe they can better serve and love God that way.
Is a recognition of Christmas as a holiday in retail stores really the best way to lead people to Christ? Perhaps instead we can aim to be good stewards of the financial blessings God has given us and look for good prices as we shop. Instead of evaluating the "Christmas friendliness" of retails stores(which by the way, are likely to sell many books and movies that are not "Christ-friendly" either way), maybe we can put our minds to work over how to engage those around us with the love Christ wants us to give and the truth he wants us to express.
How can I make opportunity for meaningful discussion with that uncle that makes me uncomfortable? How can I show my buddy that I still think well of him, even if we don't believe the same things about God? How can I use my conversations this Christmas season to stimulate discussion and provoke thought that will lead myself and others to consider the wonder of who God is and what he has done for us?
I think it would be wonderful if influential Christian organizations like Focus On The Family redirected their time and resources toward equipping us to lovingly and intelligently engage those around us with truth. But if they'd like to continue with their current strategy, I'd greatly appreciate it if they or someone else could come forward with a scriptural explanation and basis for the "Stand For Christmas" campaign so that I might see the value in it and consider supporting the idea. As it stands now, I'm left only with my concern...
-Paeter Frandsen


3 comments:

  1. My Solution... Don't celebrate Christmas... has served us well so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://atruechurch.info/christmas.html For more info.
    I'm not associated with this group I just found this on the internet one day and happen to agree with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. I checked it out and would recommend extreme caution and discernment. They have some very good things to say, but there are numerous red flags I saw in their teaching. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to look at it together, otherwise I'd recommend treading carefully as you read further on your own.
    I certainly agree that your solution (not celebrating Christmas) is a potentially very good one. I don't think it's what would most effectively aid my worship and love of God, but I can see how it could be a very effective and beneficial decision for many. Thanks for your input, Brandon!
    -Paeter

    ReplyDelete