Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why I Need Christian Apologetics




















Christian Apologetics is the logical defense of the Christian faith. Although that may seem like a strange idea, it's a field of professional study for more people than I could possibly name, and a discipline I'm extremely grateful for.

The reason is that I am not the type of person that can "check my brain at the door" when deciding what I'm going to believe, and beginning in junior high my brain began demanding answers to a number of serious questions about the Bible.

Back then, my interest in apologetics was motivated by the natural process of coming into my own as a young adult. These days, apologetics are vital to living out my faith. The reason being that, if the Bible is a fairy tale, or even a well-intentioned but false representation of reality, than treating it like an instruction manual to base the rest of my life on is a waste of time and effort.

My natural inclination is to doubt. To find reasons why I can just live life the way I want to. So I've found it valuable to come back, again and again, to examining what the evidence reveals about the nature of the Bible.

That's where I've been at lately. With two young boys fighting for time that is extremely difficult for me to give, and little time left over to just be a husband to my wife, reminding myself of the reality of what the Bible teaches helps pull me through this tough season of life.

A nice idea or a warm fuzzy could never be enough to drive me forward. But understanding that God is as real as the keyboard I'm typing on, and my future with him is as sure as the existence of the sun, can make a real difference in my life and propel me toward eternity with a real, genuine reason for hope.

2 comments:

  1. Any particular topics you're interested in looking into? I've got some free resources to squeak into "The Summer of Free"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. At the moment I've got access to all the information I need. But I'll bug you if I think of something specific. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete