Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Investing In People

IMG_0545









My wife and I have been reading a book together and discussing it as we finish each chapter. We came across a chapter this week that cut to the core of who I am. The chapter was titled "Invest" and was all about the importance of investing time in relationships. This is something I really struggle with. I'm very goal oriented and can easily vanish into my cave for days on end without feeling any desire for human interaction. I enjoy being around other people and have even been known to be the "life of the party". Being extroverted is something I can definately do, but it's like a gas tank feeding an engine with zero fuel efficiency. When that tank is empty, I'm done and NEED to be alone so I can recharge.


I've also learned to be pretty self-sufficient, which is great for the work I'm doing, but also bad for my long-term goals. Relationships are ultimately our source of fulfillment. To love others and to be loved. To support others and feel that support in return.


I can so easily fool myself into thinking that sending a superficial "hey how ya' doin" e-mail to someone is the same as really connecting with them. Real relational investment takes time and it slows down completion of some items on that "to do" list. But I'm aiming to remember that relationships are what life is really all about and have more value and purpose than all those "to dos".


-Paeter Frandsen



No comments:

Post a Comment