Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Finding The Sound

IMG_0541
















While this week has been mostly administrative, rather than creative, I have found the time to work on the remix for the song "All and Everything" from "Spirit Blade". I'll be releasing it, along with songs from Spirit Blade, Dark Ritual and a few other stand alones, in a music project I hope to have finished and available in early 2010.


Coming back to this song and Mike Tully's recording of it has been a real treat for me. I've grown so much as an artist and have a much wider spectrum of sounds to choose from now. For days I did very little on this song, trying to figure out what the new sound for it will be. I didn't want to divorce myself from the original, so the song is still very much a soothing reflective sound. The major element that I finally added that brings the whole process into focus for me is a monastic men's chorus, produced by recording my own voice in various tonal qualities and on multiple parts. I used the same trick for the Sanctafi theme in "Used" from "Dark Ritual".


The men's chorus here is much more subdued, but it gives a strong sense of mystery to the sound, which compliments the lyrical theme. The remix is still only midway through development, but I'm excited about the new direction this song is headed in and think it will capture much more effectively the feel I wanted to convey in the original mix.


-Paeter Frandsen



No comments:

Post a Comment