Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Laptop Is Dead! Long Live The Laptop!















Over the weekend my laptop sputtered and died, finally giving out after at least three years of faithful service. Although I do all of my audio mixing and other production work on my desktop, my beaten up Dell laptop was where I spent most hours of a typical work day, answering e-mails, posting to blogs and other web activities.

This particular laptop was my first, a hand me down that my sister and her husband gave us when they upgraded. The timing was perfect, as I was going to have to begin working while watching our oldest son at the same time. That was at least three years ago. These days, I couldn't keep Spirit Blade Productions running without a laptop. (Or without pulling out my hair and having some kind of mental breakdown.) So I quickly spent some of Monday and all of Tuesday researching laptop options, making a purchase and getting my new laptop set up.

During this somewhat stressful transition, two thoughts occurred to me that make me very grateful.

First, I reflected on what an effective and meaningful gift that old Dell laptop was. Karyne and Jon, thank you so much for your thoughtfulness, which made it possible for me to keep my work moving forward. It might have been a small thing to you, or maybe more of a sacrifice than I realize. Either way, it made a huge impact on my ability to do what I do and saved me a lot of money that we didn't have.

Second, I realized that because of the purchases made by those of you who listen to our audio dramas, I was able to purchase this laptop without pulling any funding from our personal finances. (A big deal given that we still contribute some money every month to fund the company.) and without hindering our ability to fund our upcoming projects.

So I just wanted to give you guys a tangible example of how your support literally makes what I'm doing possible. Thank you so much!

-Paeter Frandsen

No comments:

Post a Comment